Perl Net::DBus Help and Documentation

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Tue Apr 8 13:47:59 PDT 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 05:47:59AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I've been struggling off and on with the Net::DBus bindings for perl.
>> I've had some success in using existing buses (HAL on system,
>> specifically). Now though I am trying to have my program's daemon create
>> a bus and register clients as objects when they connect and provide
>> basic communication between server-side scripts and clients, via the
>> daemon process. I've got the client/server communication in place, but I
>> have not been able to get the DBus portion working.
>>
>>    In the past, when I have struggled to learn something, I would write
>> documentation, generally in the form of a *LUG presentation. I would
>> like to do this for perl's Net::DBus bindings, both as a way to help me
>> learn DBus better and as a way to contribute a How-To geared more to
>> perl programmers who are quite new to the DBus concept.
>
> That sounds like a great idea.

Woohoo. :)

>>    Would anyone here be interested in helping me with this?
>>
>>    All I need, more than anything, is help getting the most basic sample
>> code working, and I can start building on that myself. I would need to
>> only ask occasional questions when I go stuck. In turn, I would provide
>> the How-To back to the community.
>
> I'm happy to advise / help out on anything that's unclear about the Perl
> bindings - either on this list, or 'danpb' / 'danpb_ltop'  on the DBus
> IRC channel.

I will jump in there tomorrow midday and see if you're on.

>>    Here are links to talks I have given on general storage and
>> netfiltering with iptables:
>>
>> (2002) http://tle-bu.org/docs/Talk-TLUG_storage_200205-2.pdf
>> (2004) http://tle-bu.org/docs/TLE-WhitePaper_Netfilter-v1.1.pdf
>>
>>    More as an example of my writing style; these are two papers on an
>> old, deprecated versions of the program I am working on:
>>
>> (2004) http://tle-bu.org/docs/TLUG-Talk_TLE-BU_2004-10-12.pdf
>> (2005) http://tle-bu.org/docs/TLUG-Talk_TLE-BU_2005-10-11.pdf
>>
>>    I think DBus can offer some wonderful potential and I know I would
>> personally have benefited from a more basic introduction to DBus coding.
>> This is not in any way to disparage Mr. Berrange's Tutorials! I found
>> though that they are probably more applicable to people who are already
>> familiar with DBus and are just looking for info on the perl bindings.
>
> Yep, I certainly won't claim the tutorials are complete ! They do presume
> you know what the core dbus concepts are to a certain extent. And I only
> really did the one for exporting objects
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DBus/lib/Net/DBus/Tutorial/ExportingObjects.pod
>
> and never got free time to do the corresponding client one for using
> objects
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DBus/lib/Net/DBus/Tutorial/UsingObjects.pod
>
>>    I hope to supplement Mr. Berrange's docs by creating a document that
>> will gently easy a perl programmer who is new to DBus entirely into the
>> Net::DBus bindings. :)
>
> If you want to have any of your docs included in the official Perl Net::DBus
> releases I'm only to happy to accept patches for the docs / extra tutorials.
> Either send them to this list, or to me directly & I'll apply them. The
> master source repo I use is published
>
>   http://hg.berrange.com/libraries/net-dbus--devel
>
> Regards,
> Dan.

Once I get enough done to warrant adding something, we can work out how
to get it up then. For now, I need to start looking at my disorganized
notes and start making them more coherent. When I catch you on IRC we
can gab more.

Thanks for taking an interest, I look forward to adding what I can. :)

Madi (aka: Digimer on IRC/elsewhere)