One question in regards to dbus/messgebus user

Andrejus Chaliapinas a.chaliapinas at infosana.com
Fri Apr 18 11:52:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

If I build and install Dbus from sources (like v1.2.1) and user 'dbus' is
already present - should I follow this Wiki page and use that user instead
of specified 'messagebus' user? Or 'messagebus' user should be created
anyway?

http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/D-BUS_Core

Just want to be sure I'm not creating any non required system users.

Also - why I could find dbus related files in both /usr/bin and /bin
directories? What is the difference between them? For example
dbus-x11-1.1.2-9.fc8 has /usr/bin/dbus-launch in it and in dbus-1.1.2-9.fc8
we have /bin/dbus-daemon. Does it mean that X11 is client part and thus uses
/usr/bin catalog instead of /bin used for boot time services startup?

If there is something related to dbus inside usr/local/bin by error - should
that be removed to not interfere with dbus utilities usage?

Sorry for some sort of newbie questions - just trying to make sure I
understand whole load process to troubleshoot further possible SELinux
security issues.

Btw, I've switched back to dbus-1.1.2-9.fc8, but need to debug it? Could you
tell me which sources tar corresponds to it, cause I need to add some debug
statements.

Thank you,
Andrejus

P.S. Matthew libraries patch now seems to be working along with dbus-java,
so my big thanks to him for fixing that quickly. But still conversion of
mine Java-JNI samples to pure Java could take some time and I want to be
sure first it's not my code, which breaks.