Is dbus 1.2.1 version stable?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 02:40:22 PDT 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008 18:02:49 John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Because one of the original contributing companies (Code Factory)
> silently went bankrupt and their contract did not include copyright
> assignment according to the company that hired them.  Their assets were
> sold off and tracking it down is a hard task.  Feel free to do some
> detective work on it.  The license is not a huge issue, just a point of
> confusion.  You can still release your code under MIT using the AFL
> license for D-Bus.  Most of the D-Bus code is MIT now.

Just some more data: when a company is bankrupt and is liquidated, its assets
are sold off and are used to repay its debtholders and shareholders. Without
knowing the precise details of the liquidation, we can't know where each
asset ended up. (A wild guess, given the fact that it was a small company, is
that most if not all ended up with the debt holders, a.k.a. banks)

The intangible assets, such as copyright, may have been completely ignored --
probably because they had an estimated value of $0. If they *had* been sold,
tracking who bought them would've been possible, albeit extremely difficult.
If they were not sold, how does it work then? Did it get sold by $0 to any of
the stakeholders? Or to all? Did the stakeholders simply waive their rights
to the copyrights?

So you see how difficult this is. The best way out for us -- who are hackers,
not lawyers -- is to rewrite their code.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358