Sending new messages from a signal handler

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Thu Dec 4 13:17:10 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Lucas C. Villa Real wrote:
>>Does this logic we're attempting to use go against DBus concepts or
>>current implementation? Is there any reason why it shouldn't work, or
>>do you think that's more likely to be a bug in our code?
>
> It's a limitation of the current libdbus-1: when signal handlers are
> called, the DBusConnection locks are still in place. So when you try to
> send a message from in there, you create a deadlock situation.

Since signals do not require an ACK, does it make sense to hold a lock
on DBusConnection after the signal is received and read into a buffer?
Also, is this limitation something that's expected to be addressed in
some near release? If not, do you have any advices on where to start
looking so that I can start working on that?

Thanks,
Lucas