"-" not allowed in dbus-interface or dbus-object path

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Dec 5 05:41:33 PST 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 14:19:16 Kaustubh Atrawalkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I m writing a server-client architecture in which i m creating a dbus
> interface based on the application name to be launched via server. But i m
> not able to use "-" in the application executable names. Some how dbus
> gives error while creating the dbus interface. Is this expected behavior?
> Why does dbus doesn't allow any special symbol in interface name?

Yes, that's expected. Interface names are expected to be valid C/C++/Java
identifiers (traditional anyways, not including higher Unicode).

In fact, interface names are modelled after Java class names and package
names. The practice of replacing dashes (from DNS's LDH) with underscores is
well established.

  Senior Software Engineer - Nokia, Qt Software
  Qt Software is hiring - ask me
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358