Python DBus - Creating A Service

Robert Rawlins robert_rawlins at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:47:41 PST 2008

Hello Guys,

I hope this is the right place to ask my question, apologies if I should be on another list, please feel free to point me in the right direction if that is the case. I'm new to dbus, I've been using it for a little while consuming other peoples services and things like that.

Today I've started working on my own service, however I'm struggling a little to get it working. I've been using the following example code to try and get a service running on my system http://paste.lisp.org/display/45824 however when I attempt to run this python script I get the following error:

  File "TestService.py", line 15, in ?    myservice = MyDBUSService()  File "TestService.py", line 7, in __init__    bus_name = dbus.service.BusName('org.frankhale.helloservice', bus=dbus.SessionBus())  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/_dbus.py", line 217, in __new__    mainloop=mainloop)  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/_dbus.py", line 106, in __new__    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session
Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting this error message?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Rob