interconnecting dbus and activemq

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Feb 8 06:30:23 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 10:20 AM, Philippe Brun (perso) <phb.perso at aegle.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking for a new interprocess communication mecanism for the
> applications we develop on Linux (today we use a mix of techniques from
> UNIX IPC to sockets and pipes)
>
> Dbus is a good candidate for us, because it is available from the Qt API
> we're working with. We're also considering ActiveMQ for the access to
> application servers it brings.

D-BUS is valuable for two primary things:

1) It acts as an atomic namespace root
2) It provides a decent form of IPC

It's pretty reasonable though to just use D-BUS just as a namespace
service, but communicate using a different IPC protocol such as
ActiveMQ if you already have code written to do it.  So for example
you'd have a service with just this signature:

com.mycompany.MyService:
  string: GetActiveMQSocketAddress()