dbus exit on disconnect and glib

Frédéric Dalleau frederic.dalleau at access-company.com
Thu Feb 21 07:06:23 PST 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Simon McVittie
> <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  This is Havoc's rationale (which, FWIW, I don't agree with) for making libdbus
>>  exit your process on disconnections - if you have written the necessary code
>>  to handle disconnections gracefully, then you can safely disable the automatic
>>  disconnections.
>>

> I thought the rationale was simply that the default DBus connections
> to the system/session buses are tied to the lifecycle of the operating
> system and desktop login session, respectively.  So unless your
> application is very special in some way, it should exit when the
> session or system bus gets restarted.
>
> And no OS vendor should be restarting the system or session bus on upgrades

Looks like I made some progress :

receiving such a destroy event seems related to me not calling
dbus_g_thread_init(), I was calling g_thread_init instead.

While I agree i did the wrong thing, there was not a single warning
before this exit. I've spent one full day to find it.

Can someone please confirm if an inconsistency is detected (due to
multithreading) that dbus will exit?

Frederic