dbus uses unix domain sockets - aren't they slow ?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Sun Feb 24 15:35:04 PST 2008

sfora dim wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I read that dbus uses unix domain sockets as the (main) underlying IPC.
>
> But - is Unix domain sockets fast ? isn't only the fact that you need
> to pass it a path everytime u send something doesn' mean it is slow ?
> doesn't that mean the kernel needs to parse this path which is awfully slow ?
> e.g., msg queues don't need a path..

Ah, not quite.  Once you've opened the socket, there's no path involved.  And
they're quicker than IP sockets, since they don't have to pass packets through
all the routing and filtering stages.

The only faster IPC I can think of off hand is doors, and they're only supported
on Solaris last I checked.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net