Is D-Bus right for me?

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 25 12:05:36 PST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com> wrote:
>  Mapping the XEmbed control's interface to a D-Bus service seems fairly
>  straightforward to me. However, the control requires certain services
>  from the host process. I haven't figured out how this part would work
>  using D-Bus. I think my question is this: can an activated service know
>  what process activated it, and then request a service specifically from
>  that process?

Just have the activating process invoke a method on the activated
service, passing in the unique bus name of the activating process.

Note that well-known bus names (the well-known names used to have the
bus daemon launch a service) are singletons; so if you want two
instances of your app, you'll need some other mechanism to start them
and locate them. Each app has a unique, non-well-known bus name as
well, which you need to tell the host process about.