Session Bus Failure

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 12:48:24 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 19:45 +0000, Robert Rawlins wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I've been using Dbus for a while now and enjoying myself immensely.
> Today for the first time I decided to look into using the Session bus
> apposed to the System bus which I've been using until now, however,
> I'm coming across an issue. When trying to create the session bus from
> a python application I get the following error:
>
> "dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute
> dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session"
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? the system bus
> seems to start just fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

First a bit of advice when using the mailing list, don't reply to an
unrelated thread as mail readers organize your mail under that thread
and it is easy to overlook.

Now to your question.  The session bus should be started by the X
session.  Auto-launch is pretty much a hack.  Any standard Linux distro
should do this for you (usually you need to install the dbus-x11
package).  If you just want to play around you could run

dbus-daemon --session --print-address

and add the address that was printed out to your environment as
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS (i.e. in bash: export
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=<address printed out>)

You might also want to add the --print-pid switch so you can kill the
bus when you are done with it.