How to get tcp listen port

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:20:21 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Joshua Swink wrote:
>  >I'm curious as to how client applications currently determine the
>  >system dbus address. DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS doesn't get set, yet they
>  >still find it. Are they just hardcoding
>  >/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket?
>
>  Yes.
>
>  Client applications do not read configuration files. Only the bus daemon
>  does.

I misspoke, of course. I meant to say "how do the session dbus-daemon
instances locate the system dbus-daemon instance?"

>  Why do you need the system bus to be on a TCP port anyways?

I am trying to run Gnome on a headless server and view it from a
terminal. VNC takes care of the keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I'm
hoping dbus can connect even more of the client hardware to the
desktop.

Josh