ANNOUNCE: Perl Net-DBus-GLib binding release

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 9 08:50:23 PST 2008

The current base Perl binding for DBus uses a 100% pure Perl mainloop
implementation. While this works very well, a number of people have
requested the ability to integrate into both POE[1], and GLib[1]
eventloops.

Since, the libdbus-glib.so  has a convenient method for the doing the
latter, I've released an add-on module to provide GLib event loop
integrate for the Perl Net-DBus bindings.

This is a separate download from the main Net-DBus release, to avoid
adding a GLib dependancy to the base level Perl binding. The initial
release is Net-DBus-GLib v0.33.0, and will work with any DBus from
version 0.33 onwards right upto the current state of art.

The code, docs and example programs are available here:

   http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DBus-GLib/

The direct download is:

  http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DA/DANBERR/Net-DBus-GLib-0.33.0.tar.gz

The executive summary for people writing services, is that instead of
doing

   use Net::DBus;
   my $bus = Net::DBus->session();

   ...setup objects...

   Net::DBus::Reactor->main->run()

You simply switch the way you fetch the bus handle:

   use Net::DBus::GLib;
   my $bus = Net::DBus::GLib->session();

   ...setup objects....

   GLib::Mainloop->new->run();

I've not attempted to make any use of the other APIs in libdbus-glib.so
aside from g_connection_setup_with_g_main(). Patches for other GLib
stuff are welcome - since I don't do much GLib programming I'll rely on
others to determine what's needed here...

Regards,
Dan.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/POE/
[2] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Glib/