Object paths naming conventions?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 18 08:30:11 PDT 2008

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi Havoc,
>
>> > However, what I thought I was trying to convey is NOT that "/" (or
>> > any other path) is now owned globally by org.bluez, but that it must
>> > be unique within org.bluez  Is that correct?
>>
>> "/" would have to be available within a process implementing the bluez
>> spec. If two specs both use "/" (we just saw two in this thread), then
>> a process will not be able to use both of those specs. For the case of
>> bluez and that media player spec, using both seems unlikely. But it's
>> pretty easy to imagine specs that _are_ useful to use together.
>
>this is wrong. They can exists perfectly together if the interfaces have
>a proper namespace.

That's correct, in theory.

In practice, most bindings don't let you register interfaces only. You
have to register the entire object.

So if two different and unrelated codepaths need to use the / object, only
one will succeed.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358