DBus-GLib 0.76 released

Timo Hoenig thoenig at suse.de
Fri Jun 6 06:19:22 PDT 2008

Hi David, Michael,

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 20:34 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

>  - Maximum timeout, using libdbus.so, appears to be six hours due to
>    implementation snafu

It seems there is more funky stuff regarding the maximum timeout.  My
answer to Michael is that, by default, it does not work.

By default, the six hour maximum can not be reached.

For the session	 bus, we're shipping a default configuration which
limits the reply timeout to a maximum of five minutes
(/etc/dbus-1/session.conf):

        <limit name="reply_timeout">300000</limit>

This limit can not be exceeded by specifying higher value.  For example,

        dbus-send --session --reply-timeout=2147483647 (...)

will return after five minutes -- not after the six hours.

For the system bus, we're shipping a default configuration which does
*not* specify a limit for reply_timeout.  However, if reply_timeout is
not specified at all, we're setting a default value of five minutes
(bus/config-parser.c:bus_config_parser_new):

        parser->limits.reply_timeout = 5 * 60 * 1000; /* 5 minutes */

Actually one may argue that it is a bug if (for example)
dbus_connection_send_with_reply is being called with a higher value
compared to the value of the bud policy.

Thanks,

   Timo