d-bus vs other interprocess communication system

Adriano Pallavicino adrianopallavicino at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:25:24 PDT 2008

Il Friday 06 June 2008 17:03:08 Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 16:39:31 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 06 June 2008 16:18:35 Adriano Pallavicino wrote:
> > > Hi, i am Adriano ad i come from Italy. I have a question about d-bus
> > > and how many resources utilize. Of course is the best way to share data
> > > to and from processes, less code to write, so less possibility to
> > > introduce a bug. But, how many resources cost it? If i have an arm11
> > > 500MHz with 64Mb of ddr ram there isn't a problem, but if i have a
> > > small system with small ram? Is better to use a shared/mapped memory?
> > > where is the border line that can help me in the choice of one system
> > > or another? Thank you very much
> >
> > Without knowing details, my feeling would be if the system is powerful
> > enough to run linux without problems, it should be good enough for dbus.
>
> It'll depend very much on what kind of data is being transferred, how much
> of it and the maximum latency acceptable.
>
> D-Bus was not designed for high-throughput low-latency transfers. For
> instance, I would not recommend using D-Bus to transfer window pixmaps to a
> frame buffer server (30 fps @ 640x480 = 8.8 MB/s). For that, a shared
> memory is probably better, or transferring directly to VRAM. Actually, even
> for a data download, where the latency isn't of issue, I wouldn't recommend
> D-Bus, but a dedicated channel.
>
> D-Bus is good for short, structured messages, point to point or point to
> multipoint.

Thank you very much, your answer is that i was searching. The system will be
an embedded tool, where i want to save all the memory i can. Every second i
will share a 1kbyte structure with the processes that will require it. I
think i will utilize a shared/mapped memory tool. Thank you very much again.
bye

Adriano