License questions on the dbus package version 1.1.20

David Mandala david.mandala at canonical.com
Fri Jun 20 15:15:55 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm auditing some packages for license and I noticed the following:

I read the COPYING file and it says:
D-Bus is licensed to you under your choice of the Academic Free
License version 2.1, or the GNU General Public License version 2.
Both licenses are included here. Some of the standalone binaries are
under the GPL only; in particular, but not limited to,
tools/dbus-cleanup-sockets.c and test/decode-gcov.c. Each source code
file is marked with the proper copyright information - if you find a
file that isn't marked please bring it to our attention.

I noticed that the following files don't have any copyright info:

cleanup-man-pages.sh
test/spawn-test.c
test/test-segfault.c
test/test-utils.c
test/test-shell-service.c
test/test-utils.h
test/test-sleep-forever.c
test/test-service.c
test/test-exit.c
test/name-test/run-test.sh
test/name-test/test-ids.c
test/name-test/test-names.c
test/name-test/test-threads-init.c
test/name-test/test-pending-call-dispatch.c
test/test-names.c
test/shell-test.c
tools/run-with-tmp-session-bus.sh

Additionally the COPYING file says that the files are GPLv2 where as the
all of the actual code files (that have copyright info) say GPLv2 or
later.  I'd just like to verify that the actual code files override the
COPYING file and the package is actually licensed as GPLv2 or later.

Thanks,

David
--
David Mandala <davidm at canonical dot com>
http://www.canonical.com/ Public Key id: 45B2D952