Accessing Session Bus through the superuser

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 17 04:48:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

>  That's not a good practice. Instead, let the user connect to the system
>  bus and receive the notifications there. Do not push messages into the
>  session bus.

Right.  Now the fact that a lot of people want the functionality to
broadcast notifications to the logged in session makes me think we
should probably add it to the system.  But that's not a topic for this
list.

>  I don't either. The environment variable you set with the D-Bus session's
>  bus address did not take effect. Review your script to see if setting the
>  environment is working.

Most likely the existing session bus rejected authentication because
the root uid is not equal to the desktop user's uid.