Accessing Session Bus through the superuser

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:21:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2008 19:12:57 Avery Pennarun wrote:
>  > Perhaps that's why nobody else uses abstract sockets for anything.
>  > The world has worked pretty smoothly for years with X11 and syslog
>  > sockets being concrete, for example.  I'm not sure what the advantage
>  > of abstract sockets is supposed to be.
>
>  People don't use abstract sockets because it's a new thing. It's only
>  available on Linux as far as I know (so it's not really cross-platform) and
>  in recent kernels.
>
>  The advantage of it is that you don't have to remember to unlink() the file
>  later.

It took an awfully long time to invent them, then.  The tradeoff seems
to be having to remember to unlink() the file, vs. having to implement
your own security to duplicate what the kernel already does.  I'm not
sure abstract sockets made the right tradeoff here, especially if
non-Linux systems using DBus have to use something else anyway.

Have fun,

Avery