Is dbus good for heavy applications?

Huang Peng phuang at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 23:55:53 PDT 2008

Hi DBus hackers,

I am designing a new IM (input method) platform. I am considering using
dbus as transport layer in the IM platform. The platform will provide
input services for applications for CJK and other non English users. In
the platform, when users type the keyboard, applications will send key
events to IM manager (the dbus service), and then the IM manager will
translate input key sequence to unicode chars and send them back to
applications. In this use case, user will press about 30 to 120 key in
one minute. The service will reply results to application about 60 ~ 240
times in one minute. I don't know whether dbus is proper for this heavy
use case. Can somebody tell me the performance of dbus and give me some
suggestions?

Thanks,
Huang Peng