dbus-java: dbus-monitor quits when sending messages addressed to bus?

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Sat May 3 16:21:11 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Matthew Johnson <dbus at matthew.ath.cx> wrote:
>  I really have no idea. If the message were malformed at all then you
>  should be disconnected from the bus by dbus-daemon. I can only think
>  it's a bug in dbus-monitor.

This is true, it's tough to imagine something that dbus-monitor would
disconnect based on, but would not result in the sender getting
dropped from the bus. So there is probably a bug in libdbus or the bus
daemon of some kind, though the bug could be triggered by bad input,
who knows.

"Invalid code 17" is in dbus-marshal-validate.h:

  DBUS_INVALID_INSANE_FIELDS_ARRAY_LENGTH = 17,

This means the array of header fields claims to be huge. Most likely
that would happen because of some flawed message creation or parsing,
and  a large number just happens to be in the wrong place.

I don't have any suggestions for debugging other than create a small
compilable test case for others to look at, or get it in gdb or add
debug prints yourself and see where and when things go wrong.