org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded

Robert Rawlins robert_rawlins at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 00:02:24 PDT 2008

Hello Guys,
 > Hi,> > One thought, it could be a different limit exceeded, not the number of> match rules. If it's number of rules the message should indicate that> like this:> > if (bus_connection_get_n_match_rules (connection) >=> bus_context_get_max_match_rules_per_connection> (bus_transaction_get_context (transaction)))> {> dbus_set_error (error, DBUS_ERROR_LIMITS_EXCEEDED,> "Connection \"%s\" is not allowed to add more> match rules "> "(increase limits in configuration file if required)",> bus_connection_is_active (connection) ?> bus_connection_get_name (connection) :> "(inactive)");> goto failed;> }> > I looked over the code related to this and it looks reasonable on quick glance.> > In bus_driver_handle_add_match() it does not add a remove_rule()> callback to the transaction, so if some action after> bus_driver_handle_add_match() failed and the transaction were> canceled, a match rule might leak. But that would be really obscure> and unlikely to happen, even if it could; reading the code, I don't> think anything that can fail happens after this point so I don't think> it can happen.> > Havoc
I was trying to do some more thorough testing on this issue this morning by way of using dbus-monitor (new for me) but it seems that dbus-montior doesn't give any details to me about when the rules are created, it only gives me details of signals which are broadcast on the bus (system in my case) and everything seems as I would expect it.

Now perhaps its just what Thiago was saying yesterday but the more I'm thinking about this issue the more strange it seems that it would ever reach the limit. You see, I'm getting the error thrown when connecting to signals on an object, I connect to about 10 signals on each instance of the object. However, this problem seems to start after only a short while of the application running and probably only about 10-20 instances of this object being created. Even if we weren't deleting the rules properly I would still have thought it would run for a much longer period of time before we start seeing the crashes.

Is there any effective way for me to monitor how many rules are created? just so we can be sure of what is going on.

Robert