abstract-sockets problem compiling dbus with arm-linux cross compiler

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Thu May 15 01:40:27 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 19:57 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Abstract sockets are a standard feature of Linux. I don't think your
> problem has anything to do with those, though. During a cross-compile,
> you can't run configure checks, since code can't be run on the target.
> You need to provide default answers for all the checks.

Well, really if --disable-abstract-sockets is passed then it shouldn't
try and run the test, but maybe it was running another test which also
failed.

But yes, when cross-compiling you can't execute code to perform tests,
so you need to provide the answer to configure.  All tests which execute
code should be wrapped in AC_CACHE_CHECK, so find the relevant
AC_CACHE_CHECK for the abstract socket check (line 779), take the cache
variable name (second argument, ac_cv_have_abstract_sockets), and set
that in a "site file" and then set CONFIG_SITE=mysitefile.

Alternatively, use a system which does all this for you, such as Poky
Linux (http://pokylinux.org).

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com