abstract-sockets problem compiling dbus with arm-linux cross compiler

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Thu May 15 05:54:20 PDT 2008

On 5/14/08, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
>  On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Soh Kam Yung <sohkamyung at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I'm also getting this cross-compile issue with abstract sockets.  How
>  > do I provide the default answer (supported/not-supported) to the
>  > configure script so that it can skip the check for abstract sockets?
>  >
>  > BTW, I noticed that this question has appeared in the dbus mailing
>  > list a few times (with different answers).  Perhaps a 'definitive'
>  > answer could be provided on the dbus wiki or put into the
>  > README/INSTALL file.
>
>  The thing is that this is not a dbus question, this is an autoconf
>  question. I for one don't know the answer, because I've never
>  cross-compiled anything. But if you're doing embedded development, you
>  are going to have this same question about every single package that
>  uses autoconf. There is nothing special about dbus as far as I know.

This is not 100% true.  Most packages cross-compile just fine with no
special autoconf options (other than the one needed to activate
cross-compiling).

I think most "standard" autoconf tests have a way to degrade
gracefully in the case of cross-compiling.  (In fact, most autoconf
tests simply test *compiling* the program, not *running* the program,
so it's not a problem.)  It sounds like the specific problem here is
the test for abstract sockets, which is probably not a standard
autoconf one, and thus might be missing the graceful degradation.  If
there's a "--no-abstract-sockets" option or something to configure,
passing that should cause configure to skip the test and work okay.

Have fun,

Avery