dbus bugfix - close inherited filedescriptors

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Thu May 15 20:48:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
> IMHO, it should close 0, 1, 2 as well, and re-open them to
> point to /dev/null.   While DBus is mostly used from GUI
> applications, there are CLI based apps using it too and the
> DBus auto-launched session bus should not spam their stderr/out,
> nor need access to their stdin.

In an X session stderr is ~/.xsession-errors which I think is right.

For console apps I think keeping stderr open is likely correct also.
If there are errors they should be seen, and they will not interfere
with normal command output (that is why it's stderr and not stdout).

stdin/stdout, I don't know. I can't think of anything dbus-daemon does
with these, which probably means it doesn't matter what they point to.