traffic logging for dbus-daemon ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at eit.uni-kl.de
Thu May 15 23:48:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'd like to gather some statistics about how much traffic is going through
dbus-daemon, i.e. size and frequency of calls, latencies, etc.
Is there something available to do that ?

I saw an email here in the archive where somebody asked for that but it seems
it didn't exist back then.

So, in case I want to add something like that, how should this be done ?

My current idea:
-add a method enableLogging(bool) to dbus-daemon
-loggin is disabled by default
-if it is enabled, information about every message is logged into some
internal buffer of some not too small size, e.g. 64kb
-if this buffer is full, the contents are broadcasted via a signal
-everybody who is interested can receive that signal and process the data

Now the questions
-what should be logged ? I guess a timestamp, the size, sender and receiver,
more ?
-does the idea to send the logging information away make sense or should it
better just be written to some file ? This wouldn't increase the dbus
traffic, but it would also be less flexible.
-is there already a format which is suitable for this kind of information ?
-is there already an application which is suitable for visualizing and
analyzing this kind of information, e.g. some networking tool ?
-does all that make sense at all ?

Bye
Alex