docs or example for direct peer-to-peer dbus communication ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 16 01:26:34 PDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 10:17:01 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the dbus docs say that not only communication via dbus-daemon is possible,
> but also direct peer-to-peer.
> I didn't find documentation on this yet.
> Is there some documentation somewhere or an example ?
> I guess from the callers side it's almost the same, except that connecting
> works differently ?

Yes. The connection to a bus is generally done using:
	dbus_bus_get
which is technically equivalent to:
	- find out the bus's address
	- dbus_connection_open
	- dbus_bus_register

The connection to a non-bus peer is the above steps as well, minus the bus
registering. That's it.

> Do I have to use libdbus directly or can I use any of the bindings for that
> ?

In general, bindings have not completed or tested overall their peer-to-peer
support. Other binding authors may pitch in and tell you what their status
is.

I can tell you about QtDBus: peer-to-peer is not implemented. The QDBusServer
class that is there is completely useless -- it's just a placeholder. You can
track it via this task:

	http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker/index_html?id=126631&method=entry

I'm planning it for Qt 4.5.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358