Can not use remote dbus; weird auth situation

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Mon May 19 08:06:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

Follow the links to the archives in this post:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2008-May/009761.html

And the followup to the above post has the one-line patch that's
needed, though as I said in some of the archived messages, I don't
really know if it's OK to use. Someone ought to think it through and
post their analysis.

If your bus was in fact a session bus for someone's desktop I think
allowing ANONYMOUS would be very bad; but it sounds like what you
really have is a custom bus, not a desktop session bus.

In general I have no idea how to think about custom buses. Those are
all use-cases that were not envisioned in the dbus design and I don't
have any understanding of these use-cases or why people are using dbus
instead of whatever else in these cases. Not to say there's anything
wrong with custom uses, just that you should not expect them to have
been thought about in the design of dbus. (And also I guess we'll be a
little reluctant to add complexity or bloat of any kind to support
them, though if they happen to work with basically the same code we
have, that's fine.)

I think often with the custom uses I've heard about, you should be
writing your own DBusServer instead of using a dbus-daemon.