About performance of D-Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 5 05:46:09 PST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Jerome Philbert
<jerome.philbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I have also tried your suggestions number 3 and 4.
> Is not it equivalent to:
> - remove paranoid validation ? (by using
> DBUS_VALIDATION_MODE_WE_TRUST_THIS_DATA_ABSOLUTELY in the code)
> - build D-Bus with disable-checks option ?
> In this way, I have measured that D-Bus was 7% faster.

I think if you wrote a library from scratch, you could disable even
more validation, basically - write code that would just crash and burn
horribly on invalid data, that never checked anything at all, but was
pretty fast.

If you profile just plain raw sockets with no protocol parsing,
exchanging messages in a blocking way, that will tell you what the
absolute theoretical fastest library you could write would be like.