dbus-monitor: how to see return values?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sat Nov 8 09:04:15 PST 2008

Hi,

I have

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <policy user="bin">
    <allow eavesdrop="true"/>
  </policy>
</busconfig>

in /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf and can use

sudo su bin -c "dbus-monitor --system"

to see method calls like

method call sender=:1.5 -> dest=:1.0
path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/PowerSupply/bat;
interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.PowerSupply;
member=GetEnergyPercentage

I looked at the source code of dbus and noticed that in dbus-monitor
does

dbus_bus_add_match (connection,
                          "type='method_return'",
                          &error);

so at least dbus-monitor is asking to see method return values.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong here? Does dbus-monitor show
return values for you? Being able to see method return values would
greatly help in debugging.

best regards,
Timo Lindfors