dbus no reply

sfora dim sfora.dim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:32:19 PST 2008

HI,

I sometimes get the following msg while sending a method call to my
application using dbus-send:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

This happens on a local machine, with the dbus "server" application
polling the fd all the time. So it looks like data didn't arrive to
the fd. After getting this error, I can try again using dbus-send and
then it will succeed. So something along the way didn't work while the
dbus application was all the time polling the correct watch fd. I can
rule out any of the options suggested in the error msg itself. Well,
sort of - the remote application indeed didn't send a reply, but
that's because it was polling all the time the fd, and didn't receive
the method call in the first place. (I can also see in strace that it
is polling the correct fd's. both when it does receive the method call
and when it doesn't).

Any suggestions how to debug this or what can it be ?

Why would a method call fail while a successive method call succeed
(nothing else changes in the application/system) ?

Thank you!
Sfora.