About performance of D-Bus

Joerg Barfurth jub at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 31 06:27:40 PDT 2008

Diego Jacobi schrieb:
> 2008/10/31 Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com>:

>> Before optimizing dbus the first question is always "how much of my
>> overall user experience time is spent in dbus?" and at least for the
>> intended uses of dbus (desktop sessions, systemwide bus) the answer
>> has usually been "not much" which (I think) is why nobody has spent a
>> lot of time sending in optimization patches. Making dbus take up 1% of
>> your user experience instead of 2% is a huge dbus speedup that would
>> be a lot of work, but nobody would ever notice.
>>

> just to note.
> With "nobody" you are excluding me, a user of low-end pcs and Jerome
> Phillbert too, a user of embedded devices.

How so?

Do your systems spend a much more significant percentage of your user
experience in dbus or waiting for data coming in through dbus? Then it
would be worthwhile to look at the overall design to figure out why that
share dbus is so much higher than in the desktop environments dbus was
designed for. Otherwise, as long as Havoc's percentages are right,
shaving 2 seconds off a 2 minute wait is just as insignificant as saving
0.2 seconds on a 10 second delay. Humans won't notice in either case. No
matter what the device or the overall speed of it.

- Jörg