D BUS for real time application

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 12:09:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 05:42 +0000, DEEPESH SINGH wrote:

> hi madi,
>
> thanks for your valuable thoughts.
>
> we are using C & C++ for our software development .
>
> so what i have concluded from your response is that D BUS is a one
> step towards organized application development with security and
> durability still i feel that if we will carefully do the profiling we
> can further reduce the latency .

Sure reducing latency and improving performance is great though that
isn't quite what "Realtime" means.

> but still my doubt is that, will that low latency will improve the
> user experience on hand held devices or mobiles further or there are
> other factors to be considered also.

Most likely not.  There are some areas like applications not using async
calls which will have more impact. Also relying on the autostart feature
has drastic performance implications on embedded systems because if a
daemon takes a long time to start up your call might fail causing issues
if not handled correctly.  It is even worse if you are using blocking
calls. Have you determined that D-Bus is a bottleneck or a particular
app using D-Bus?  Really, if you are doing point to point and using
async calls I doubt D-Bus itself has any impact on the responsiveness of
the system.  More than likely it is the design of the app.