Disconnected in DBusConnection.getConnection

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 9 07:18:49 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Janne Kario <janne.kario at gmail.com> wrote:
> dbus 1.2.1
> dbus-java 2.5
> machine is ARM
> java vm is jamvm 1.5.1
>
> For some reason calling Hello of org.freedesktop.DBus causes
> connection to be disconnected. Sometimes I manage to get past the
> DBusConnection.getConnection method but after that the subsequent dbus
> call causes the connection to be disconnected.

Hi,

The "Hello" message is a special part of the protocol handshake; I
don't think it's permitted to call it after a connection has been
established.  At least this program fails:
python -c "import dbus;
bus=dbus.SystemBus().get_object('org.freedesktop.DBus',
'/org/freedesktop/DBus'); print dbus.Interface(bus,
'org.freedesktop.DBus').Hello()"

There are a lot of variables here; I can't claim to know dbus-java,
ARM, or JamVM (though the latter looks pretty interesting).  Do you
know if for example dbus-java works with JamVM on x86?

Is the problem possibly specific to something on the GSM service
interface?  What if you try to call something simple like ListNames on
the bus?