dbus send system message to system bus

Tomas Pelka tompelka at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:11:07 PDT 2008

Could anybody advise me how to send a message (system or call method)
through system bus?

$ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
--type=signal /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.StateChange  uint32:1

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

This seem like it works, but dbus-monitor said:

signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
    string ":1.49"
    string ""
    string ":1.49"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
    string ":1.49"
    string ":1.49"

How can I send message including data. System bus is protected via dbus
policy isn't it? How can I convince about it?

Thanks for help

--

Tom

* Tomas Pelka			 tompelka at gmail.com
*
* Key fingerprint:
* 06C0 23C6 9EB7 0761 9807  65F4 7F6F 7EAB 496B 28AA
* www.gpg.cz