Dbus Inspector & Introspect

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 09:41:02 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Sander Jansen <s.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> This also raised another question I have, should I use the
> dbus_connection_register_object_path to listen for specific signals
> from objects not owned by my application or should I use a message
> filter for that (example, I need to receive signals from
> "/org/freedesktop/Notifications"). My instinct tells me to use a
> message filter for that since I do not provide the object so no
> introspection should take place. Or maybe I can use the
> register_fallback function for that...

Right, a message filter is right for this; the object path
registration is to *provide* an object, while for a signal the path
refers to which object on the other side is sending the signal.

This looks potentially broken in the current code (it looks like
nobody filters out non-method-calls before dispatching to the
registered object tree). But that is a bug, if an object receives
signals from a remote object that happens to have the same path. So if
it is broken right now, don't rely on it staying that way ;-)