call for advice (is dbus ok for me ?)

sfora dim sfora.dim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:51:36 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It can be quite helpful actually to be able to send multiple replies
>> to the same method call.
>
> It would indeed be helpful, but it leads to a difficult design
> problem.  When sending a reply, all the dbus-daemon receives is the
> message number that you're replying to.  It has to use that message
> number to decide who to send the reply back to.
>
> So the dbus-daemon keeps a list of messages that have not yet received
> a reply.  If it didn't expire things from that list after processing a
> reply, the list would just keep growing forever.

Thank you for the explanation!

> It's pretty easy to register a DBus signal for this sort of thing.
> Not quite as elegant as a "reply but this isn't the last reply yet, I
> promise!" message type, but it wins because there's no such thing as
> the latter :)

I don't know why, I just don't like signals. maybe because of its UNIX
heritage :)
Maybe I should let the client send the service a method name, and then
the service will just method-call that service name as much as it
desires. Please tell me if there's a flaw in that design..

Thank you
Sfora