DBus TCP and environment-variable Issue

Johannes Felten johannesfelten at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 26 00:21:05 PDT 2008

Hi all,

we are using the session-DBus via TCP using the following entry in the
session-local.conf: <listen>tcp:host=localhost,port=0</listen> This
works fine most of the time, so we see that the dbus-daemon sets the
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS to some value like
tcp:host=localhost,port=33494,guid=2d0f1e9bd56b4c7d0ae3cc9648dc85fc;unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-9XXwohH14U,guid=69731d36a15c38c80c9c8a1448dc85fc
when starting. At times however the daemon fails to set the tcp-part
of it, setting only the unix-part. This results in timeout-problems in
all applications trying to connect via DBus.

Is this a known issue or are we missing out on something?
The reason we are using TCP on localhost is that we establish a DBus
connection from an application running within wine to an application
running outside wine on the same machine. The above described issue is
however a problem with applications running outside wine "in the
normal" world too.

Thanks & Greetings
Johannes Felten