Strange dbus problem on NetBSD-current

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:40:01 PDT 2009

I'm trying to get gnome working on my NetBSD machine, but I'm
hitting a problem that I'm pretty sure involves dbus.

gnome 2.26 + dbus-1.2.4.2 + dbus-glib-0.80 + glib2-2.20.0

Gnome starts up okay using
dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session gnome-session
and functions correctly as long as I don't touch the keyboard.

If I type even one character the gnome desktop freezes up
completely so I have to back out with ctr-alt-backspace.

ps shows that half-dozen or so processes are *stopped* and
that includes the dbus-launch process.  Some processes will
restart when given SIGCONT, but dbus-launch won't restart.

There is also a system dbus which is not stopped. BTW xfce4
does exactly the same, and their startup script also uses
dbus-launch.

Can anyone suggest a cause for this behavior?

Thanks!