D-Bus 1.3.0 released

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 6 14:22:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, 06.08.09 13:51, Marcel Holtmann (marcel at holtmann.org) wrote:

> Hi Thiago,
>
> > > Together with the at_console stuff mentioned by Lennart this could
> > > become 1.3.2 and then we should be focusing on stabilizing it for the
> > > final 1.4 release.
> >
> > I'm a bit more skeptical about the at_console stuff. Some more input from the
> > distros on whether they use it or not would be nice.
>
> personally I think that leaving at_console in for 1.4 and cleaning it up
> would be the best. And then target the removal for the 1.6 release.
>
> If the discussion about at_console would delay the 1.4 release, then I
> vote for leaving that out for now. It is more important to get the 1.4
> release out so we can actually profit from the new features.

I have now decided to add native consolekit support to D-Bus and keep
at_console around for a while given that at least on Fedora a
non-trivial number of D-Bus policy files still use it.

Right now D-Bus already supports pam_console style /var/run/console
support as well as Solaris style /dev/console support. I have now
added a third kind of checking: using the CK database.

That patch is mostly ready, I'll probably post it later today.

After that's done I'll write a tiny patch that logs to syslog whenever
it encounters a policy file that still uses at_console.

If that patch should or should not delay 1.4 I don't know. I am still
hoping that for the F12 time-frame we can get the session.d/ mess in CK
fixed, and this is part of that work.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net