Status of dbus-python: more features

Martin Vidner mvidner at suse.cz
Fri Aug 14 01:03:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 06:00:24PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 at 15:11:46 +0200, Soeren Apel wrote:
> > With that I'd like to ask what can be done to improve this situation and
> > provide an opportunity for further development.
>
> As you can see, I haven't had much (any) time for dbus-python for about a year;
> the other projects I'm working on (mainly Telepathy) soak up a lot of
> development time, and I'm no longer focusing on anything that directly uses
> dbus-python.
>
> You or anyone else would be welcome to help with triaging bugs, providing
> patches, pre-reviewing patches, or feature development; Bugzilla is the best
> place to start with that. I'd be more than willing to hand over to a new
> maintainer who'd proved their ability and interest by contributing (that's
> how I took over maintenance from J5, after all).

As I was refactoring cnetworkmanager, I added a wrapper around
dbus-python:
- it frees the user from specifying the interface for each call,
  relying on the introspection data or on a default_interface
  specified for a class
- it accesses properties as if they were dictionary members
- it wraps the calls to translate object paths to proxy objects,
  integers to enumeration classes etc.

Would people be interested in making it a more general purpose
thing, and perhaps integrating it with dbus-python?

http://repo.or.cz/w/cnetworkmanager.git?a=tree;f=dbusclient;h=c6473deac95ed26a0b409c01a92cf4b08103bfa5;hb=HEAD
http://mvidner.blogspot.com/2009/07/hackweek-networkmanager-python-library.html
http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager/
--