Skipping the session bus hop for RPC

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 11:49:10 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've bumped into situation (doing a large database query) where dbus
> buffer size was a limitation - the message just didn't pass through
> the dbus). I can't quote exact sizes here.

The easy solution to this is to simply break the reply up into more
messages (signals).  That way multiple large answers can be flowing
across the bus simultaneously and you don't need huge buffers.

That's how we do it in the versaplex database wrapper layer:
http://code.google.com/p/versaplex/

Strictly speaking, bypassing the bus daemon in some cases would be a
performance increase.  However, it would also bypass some of the other
nice things the dbus-daemon provides, such as security and protection
from corrupted messages.

Avery