Skipping the session bus hop for RPC

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Mon Feb 9 12:33:46 PST 2009

On Mon Feb 09 13:55, Andrew Sherk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get a better idea of the D-Bus transport data flow.
> Is there a way to use bindings and have method calls and method replies
> traffic go from client directly to service without going through the
> session bus once the service's location is known? (Idea: use session bus
> to do the lookup and then bypass the session bus for further IPC between
> service and client)

(see all the other replies for why you might not want to do this,
 but...)

You can use the dbus libraries and protocol on a point-to-point link
between two apps. This will gain you a common implementation with the
rest of your code and all the serialisation et al done by the libraries,
but it probably still has the same limitations of maximum message size
etc. You'll essentially end up passing a dbus address (unix:.... or
something) across the session bus and then connecting directly using
that.

I don't know what the support for  this is like in bindings. I know
dbus-java can do it.

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx