Properties interface additions

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 14 11:50:13 PST 2009

Hey,

So in EggDBus [1], I ended up mapping D-Bus properties directly to
GObject properties and I think this is working out really well. I'm also
using an EggDBus specific signal on the org.freedesktop.Properties
interface

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/eggdbus-0.1-docs/eggdbus-eggdbusproperties.html

to indicate property changes. Of course this only works if the other end
is using EggDBus but for the projects I'm working on this happens the
case. Still, I'd like to propose that we add a Changed() signal to the
D-Bus specification. I've attached a patch for this. OK to commit?

I've also thought about adding these two methods

 o SetMultiple(IN STRING interface_name, IN DICT:STRING->VARIANT props)
 o GetAllInterfaces(OUT ARRAY:(STRING, DICT:STRING->VARIANT props))

The former would allow atomically setting multiple properties (e.g. both
Status and StatusText in an IM interface), the latter would allow for a
few optimizations (and also cheap introspection of interfaces w/o XML
parsing).

Thoughts?

    David

[1] :