Properties interface additions

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Jan 28 09:35:26 PST 2009

Hi,

An overall thing, I think we probably need a binding or two besides
eggdbus to take a crack at implementing this, before we declare it
final-final. But step 1 is to get a plan we think is plausible here on
the list.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> Multiple signals, one for each interface. We could change the Changed()
> signal to fold this into a single signal.

I don't know, I think it's asking for trouble to rely on all bindings
coping well here. Also with NetworkManager already using
PropertiesChanged ...

> Yeah, that sounds good to me. So it would be
>
>  <property name="name" type="s" access="read" emits-changed="true"/>

I'm not sure the convention is emits-changed vs. emits_changed vs.
emitsChanged so if there are any precedents there, we should match
those. Otherwise, looks good.

> Are consumers of introspection XML supposed to cope with a new attribute
> popping up? I think they are... the spec doesn't say anything about this
> (should we fix that?) but given the X in XML I think they are supposed
> to.

I would think they are supposed to, but whether they do, I don't know.
Another reason to get some testing on this in various bindings before
we declare it "finalized"