D-Bus 1.3.x / 1.4.0

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Wed Jul 22 02:27:28 PDT 2009

Hi Thiago,

> I have just changed the version number in configure.in to indicate 1.3.0, with
> library revision 8:0:5 (libtool stuff).
>
> This branch will contain as new features (according to a simple commit log
> check):
>  - ability for dbus-send to send to any bus (--address)
>  - file descriptor passing on Unix socket transports
>  - use of GCC atomic intrinsics for better processor support
>    (requires -march=i486 or above for x86 compilation)
>  - thread-safe FD_CLOEXEC setting on recent Linux kernels (2.6.24-27 and up)
>    and glibc (2.9 for pipe2 and 2.10 for accept4)
>  - feature negotiation in the bus daemon
>
> Thanks to Lennart for the 4 main features above.

thanks for making 1.3 happening.

> Missing features that can still make it into 1.4:
>  - support for single-precision floating point types
>  - bus auto-starting on Mac OS X systems
>  - Windows native support
>  - anonymous connections (no authentication)
>
> Apart from the last item, the features above have not been submitted for
> inclusion as patches to D-Bus yet. If the maintainers of such features want
> them in D-Bus 1.4.0, please speak up soon with a timeline on which your
> feature should be stable.
>
> As for the anonymous connections, can someone take the patch from Bugzilla and
> clear the dust?
>
> Finally, we need to agree on the timeline for the release. But until the
> maintainers of features speak up, we can't know how much time we should
> allocate for the 1.3.x series.

We have almost one week gone by now and the only feature where something
happened is the Mac OS X auto-starting stuff.

If we wanna expose D-Bus 1.4 to bigger testing we should ensure it makes
it into the next round of community distros. So I would propose that if
we have no response by next week we close the features down and target
for a release within the end of next month. Everything else would be
then for 1.5 or later. The earlier we release the better.

Regards

Marcel