adbus: an alternate c dbus client lib

James McKaskill jmckaskill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 22:44:53 PDT 2009

Gday list,

I've been playing with dbus for awhile now for some tools at work (on
windows - qt), which has been quite enjoyable and a large change from
the normal hackfest that is ipc on windows. So I came across a problem
the other week where I wanted to have bidirectional async ipc between
a wince box and a desktop over tcp. Getting libdbus working on wince
didn't seem like a particularly viable option and majorly overkill
since I don't need nor want any bus capabilities on the wince box
itself. So I have written a client only (ie no bus) dbus library
including cpp and lua (to come) bindings available at
http://gitorious.org/adbus (MIT).

So far the implementation connects and successfully communicates over
dbus-daemon as well as introspection for the cpp bindings.

Some points I'd like to make:
1. The protocol specs are excellent
2. The padding of messages seems a bit inconsistent in that message
starts need to be padded to 8 bytes, but the message length does not.
This means that you can't buffer up multiple messages in a single
buffer and process them without moving each one.

James