glib dbus bindings notes

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Tue Mar 3 20:20:29 PST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> So, to sum up, the main suggestions you are making are
>
>  - Rework low-level bits of EggDBus so it's like dbus-hippo-helper
>
>  - Don't try to hide libdbus in the low-level bits
>   (but do hide it from the high-level bits)
>
>  - make sure the all gunk needed for the C/GObject binding is separate
>   from the low-level stuff (a separate library even?)
>
> Is that about right?

Yup, I think that's fair, and thanks for wading through my mails.

I'm not sure whether separating the C object mapping into another
library is necessary or not; could go either way. To me the important
thing is to separate it "conceptually" (have the dependencies flowing
in the right direction / have the lower-level bits work by
themselves). I could also see a phased approach where the binding
helper stuff is finished and API-locked before the C object mapping,
but that may not be useful.