DBus-Daemon Optimizations

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Sun Mar 15 17:35:40 PDT 2009

Schmottlach, Glenn wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback on your experiences in an embedded platform. We
> too anticipate using D-Bus for control/business-logic applications as
> well but the latencies of the bus has raised some eye-brows from the
> hard-core embedded folks in my group. I've done a little profiling myself
> and there seems to be indications that the marshalling/unmarshalling code
> may be far from efficient.

Whilst lurking on this list I have seen it stated REPEATEDLY that the
un/marshalling code has had NO effort to optimise since it was rewritten in
the late 0.9 stages.  Pretty much every time someone talks of speeding up
DBus, the same conclusion is reached:  Marshalling is the first place to look.

> At this point I don't know if that's the true
> smoking gun, but I guess it's somewhere to start. I find it hard to
> believe that the large latencies are justified. Perhaps I am naive with
> regards to the complexity involved in the daemon.

The above situation is generally mitigated with the point that DBus is
targeted as modern desktop usage, and in such situations is such a small
fraction of the user experienced time, it's not worth optimising.

Now, my own use has seen dbus-daemon using up to 6% of a Xeon 3.2GHz, and I
certainly wouldn't mind seeing some optimisations landed, but I suspect it
will be the embedded people who will push hardest for this, as they're the
ones who will get the greatest rewards.

The upshot of my message?  The problem is known, the target is known, and
someone needs to take it upon themselves to do the work.  It's not enough of
an issue for the primary targeted use of DBus for the 'core' devs to give it
a high priority.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net