Unix FD Passing

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon May 4 23:42:17 PDT 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
>This is a local transport after all. There are processors which can be
>configured to run in either LE or BE mode, but AFAIK there is no OS
>that actually allows running processes in LE and BE side-by-side.

Linux on IA-64 (Itanium).

>Running 32bit and 64bit envs side-by-side on a single processors is a
>use-case we need to keep in mind. But running LE and BE processes
>side-by-side on the same CPU? I am pretty sure that loonies who'd do
>such a thing will run into a lot of other problems before they run
>into this particular issue with D-Bus. And then, if it matters to them
>they can send us a patch!

They'd probably run into other problems, but nothing major I think. They
have to compile the entire library stack in big-endian mode, but that's
it.

In any case, when you receive the file descriptors via SCM_RIGHTS, are they
in original byte-order or are they in the native (receiving)? Is there
anything to byte-swap?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358